Rooke Science Center to be dedicated

By Olivia Seecof

In recognition of the Rooke family’s loyalty to the University, the Biology Building and the Robert L. Rooke Chemistry building will be renamed officially as the Robert L. Rooke Science Center.

The late Robert L. Rooke, class of 1913, and his family have a history of being very supportive of the University and its needs. Robert C. Rooke recently provided significant funding toward the Academic West project. This gift shows the continuation of the family’s commitment to bettering the University for future students. Their generosity and faithfulness has contributed to the outstanding academic programming and opportunities on campus.

“The designation of the Robert L. Rooke Science Center honors the continuing contributions of Robert L. Rooke and the entire Rooke family to the University. For decades, the Rookes have been true partners with Bucknell, helping us to provide the conditions for our students’ ongoing success. We are pleased to recognize their important role in the University with this new designation,” Provost Mick Smyer said.

“As a biology major and upcoming Bucknell graduate, I’m very glad to see continued support from alumni and their families,” Susan Bentley ’11 said.

Many students at the University, studying science or not, are appreciative of any gift to the University. “The only science classes that I plan to take are to fulfill my requirements, but I think it is awesome that the Rooke family is so supportive of enriching Bucknell academics,” Samantha Lara ’13 said.

“As a biochem major, I spend a lot of time in the science buildings,” Kristina Mammano ’14 said. “I am very grateful for the support given by the Rooke family and I look forward to spending even more time learning in the Rooke Science Center.”

There will be a ribbon-cutting and dedication ceremony for the renamed Science Center tomorrow at 11:15 a.m. in the Candland Garden, located between the Rooke Science Center, the O’Leary Center and the F.W. Olin Science Building to celebrate this special occasion. In the event of rain, the ceremony will take place inside the building. All students, faculty and staff are encouraged to join members of the Rooke family and the Board of Trustees at the ceremony.