Men’s crew continues standout season

Lauren Whelan, Co-Sports Editor

The men’s crew team has been making serious strides this season, recently completing their third regatta of the 2016 season. After training all winter, the team has been seeing substantial results, particularly with the freshman eight placing second at the Knecht Cup, their most recent competition.

“The season has been very productive so far, especially considering this is one of the biggest teams in Bucknell men’s crew history, so the coaches have had a lot on their plate,” Perry Hamilton ’18, a coxswain on the team, said.

“The highlight of the season thus far has definitely been the improvement the team has made since the winter. Now that our season is in full swing, it’s easy to see how far the team has come since our training trip to Orlando in January,” James Koenigsberg ’18 said.

Koenigsberg raced with the third varsity eight in the men’s club eight event last weekend; the boat won its first heat, and then eventually placed fourth later in the afternoon.

The team trained hard for an extremely difficult season, and the practice itself is certainly very demanding.

“The toughest moment of the season was definitely our spring training trip. We headed down to Lake Anna, Va. and had practice three times a day, rowing for many hours in the early morning and mid afternoon. There were no ‘easy’ practices that week,” Koenigsberg said.

The team is planning to head to the ACRA National Championship, which they will spend two weeks training for after finals have ended. This will mark the final race of the season for the team. Hopefully, the team will ride its current momentum during the race and finish off the season strong.