"New Girl" proves herself among famous FOX lineup

By Courtney Flagg

Editor-in-Chief

The most anticipated season premiere of the fall was the fan-favorite and Ryan Murphy brainchild “Glee.” To be completely honest, the season premiere didn’t blow me away. Yes, it was cutesy and full of show tunes and Sue Sylvester’s hilarious and politically incorrect one-liners. But the episode had very little substance. It seemed to serve more as a filler and preview of promising things to come than a real great episode. So when Glee ended at 9 p.m. and I was left wanting more, I was pleasantly surprised by Fox’s new series “New Girl.”

The premise is simple: a freshly single Jess (Zooey Deschanel) becomes the new roommate to three bachelors who are not at all competent in dealing with women. The show starts with Jess riding in a taxi in only a trench coat, ready to engage in some surprise sex with her boyfriend, only to find out that he’s been cheating on her. After this traumatic experience, and sick of sleeping on her model friend Cece’s (Hannah Simone) couch, she takes matters into her own hands and moves in with three “guy’s guys,” Schmidt (Max Greenfield), Coach (Damon Wayans Jr.) and Nick (Jake M. Johnson).

I knew this show was a winner when Coach and Nick made Schimdt put money into their communal “Douchebag Jar” after he makes an arrogant and idiotic comment about how “ladies love the Schimdt.” The show also impressed me with its accuracy in portraying both the obvious and subtle intricacies of both male and female behavior. Of course this idea isn’t revolutionary. How many times have we seen TV shows where guy and girl roommates engage in various shenanigans? This show comes with something different. Like its main character, “New Girl” is quirky, funny and quite the breath of fresh air. The pilot showcases the witty writing and the actors’ clever performances, all of which add to the show’s culturally relevant theme of the sexual politics between men and women.

Congratulations, Fox, you’ve made a fan out of me.