Tony-Nominated Broadway set designer to host talk at Bucknell

Maddie+Hamilton%2C+Photography+Editors+%2F+The+Bucknellian+

Maddie Hamilton, Photography Editors / The Bucknellian

Kelsey Werkheiser, News Co-Editor

Bucknell’s Theatre and Dance Department welcomes Ed Pierce, Tony Award Nominated Broadway Designer, to speak on his experience in the field. The talk will take place on, Feb. 3 in the Traditional Reading Room on the second floor of Bertrand Library from 12:30–2 p.m. Attendees will get a chance to learn about having a career in the theatre industry, and lunch will be provided.

“I look forward to sharing the joy I have in my work, including my pathway to a career in design and theatre-making,” Pierce said. “Having attended a liberal arts university myself, I hope that my conversation with the Bucknell students will highlight the benefits of a multidisciplinary education and how the opportunities available in the entertainment industry are wide ranging. Our discussion will welcome student questions so that we can focus our conversation on the topics that most interest those in attendance.”

Pierce has been working in theatre for more than 20 years. His scenic designs have included the Broadway shows such as “Wicked,” “Amazing Grace,” “9 to 5,” the world tour of “Phantom of the Opera” and “Love Never Dies.”  

He has also served as a lighting designer for several productions on Broadway and television. Pierce represents designers as the President of the United Scenic Artists, Local 829, IATSE and supports the industry as a member of the Advisory Board of the American Theatre Wing and the Tony Award Administration Committee.

“I appreciate that he’s coming to speak,” Evelyn Pierce ‘25 said, “especially because he’s the reason I was introduced to theatre and am now pursuing it as a major. I think it’s a great opportunity for students to get some of the experience that I was able to get as his daughter.”

“It is an incredibly special and rare opportunity to be able to meet and get your questions answered by someone whose art has brought joy to, and been seen by millions of people,” Alice Jackins ‘25, said. “As a student interested in pursuing theatrical design, the chance to meet and ask questions to a professional like Pierce makes me feel really encouraged and supported by the Theatre Department. It’s also really inspiring to see a successful artist and designer reach out to encourage the upcoming generation of professionals.”