Football continues success against Hoyas

Football

Greg Stevenson ’12

For the first time in 10 years, the Orange and Blue won four of their first five games. The Bison won their Patriot League home opener last Saturday afternoon with a 35-18 home victory over the Georgetown Hoyas. The win marked the fourth consecutive time the Bison have beaten Georgetown, dating back to the 2008 season.

Defensive end Roberto De La Rosa ’12 earned the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) National Defensive Player of the Week from both The Sports Network and College Football Performance through his three sacks, 6.5 tackles for loss and forced fumble. De La Rosa ranks third all-time in single-game tackles for loss in FCS history.

“We trust in each other and in the coaching staff, which really allows each of us players to perform to the best of our ability,” De La Rosa said. “The coaches do a great good in preparing for our opponent each week and we’re fortunate enough that no one slacks off. Everyone, from the starters to the scout team, works their butts off throughout the week.”

Offensively, it was a three-man attack that powered the Orange and Blue. Running back Tyler Smith ’13 and wide-receiver Frank DeNick ’12 each gained 100 yards on the game, with Smith reaching the century mark on the ground for the first time in his career. Quarterback Brandon Wesley ’14 threw 200 yards and three touchdowns, the most for a Bison since 2002.

“We are fortunate that we have good players on this team,” Head Coach Joe Susan said. “Plays are there to be made and will only be made when preparation meets opportunity. The long passes are there because of the threat of the run game, protection, and the pass being thrown on time. It all works together.”

Only a minute into the contest, the Orange and Blue forced and recovered a fumble deep in Hoya territory. The offense scored just three minutes later to go up 7-0. The Bison scored three more touchdowns in the first half, going up 28-0 before a late Georgetown score pushed the halftime lead to 21.

Georgetown added a touchdown and field goal in the third quarter, getting within 10 points, but Wesley’s third passing score of the contest early in the fourth period sealed the game for the Bison.

The Bison return to the field this Saturday afternoon against the Lehigh Mountainhawks. The toughest opponent for the Orange and Blue so far this season, Lehigh enters the contest ranked 10th in the nation and on a three-game win-streak.

“Lehigh are playing well and have some excellent players,” Susan said. “We will prepare for them like we prepare for our other opponents, but we are fortunate to be healthy and playing at home.”