Women’s Lacrosse falls to 21-14 to Army

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Despite having an early lead and strong energy heading into the game, Bucknell Women’s Lacrosse fell 21-14 this weekend against Army West Point. 

“The underclassmen did a great job honoring the seniors on Saturday, and we used that energy as momentum going into the first quarter,” Emily Baird ’24 stated. “The team was excited for the opportunity to play against a high-level opponent. Remembering our previous successes against Army, like the win two years ago and the close match last year, definitely boosted our confidence.” 

Baird had the first goal of the game, and set up Taylor Kopan ’24 for her first of four goals, to ultimately put the Bison up 2-1 early on. Not long after, Kopan scored again and Abby Henderson ’27 was not far behind, putting the Bison up 6-3. Braeden Siverson ’27 followed with her first of two goals, and the Bison were up 7-4. However, Army eventually went on an 8-0 run,  putting them ahead 13-9 heading into the half. 

The Black Knights continued to excel in the beginning of the third quarter, grabbing four more goals to increase their lead to 17-9. Although the Bison were finally able to get some more points on the board in the fourth quarter, it was not enough to close the deficit. 

Seven of the Army goals were off of free-position attempts, and they also finished with a 39-30 shot advantage, as well as a 22-16 lead in draw controls. 

“Reflecting on the game, one thing we could’ve done differently was adapting to the officiating sooner. We ended up playing a lot of the second half woman-down due to multiple penalties,” Baird said. “Still, I’m proud of how the team fought till the very end, especially considering it was our last game together on Graham Field.”

Despite the loss, there were several Bison who had strong games. Allie Boyce ’25 tallied three goals, Baird who had two goals and an assist and Katie Browne ’26 also secured two goals. 

Women’s Lacrosse closed out their regular season on April 25th on the road against #9 Loyola.