Women’s Track and Field splits team between Bison Open and PSU National Open

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Bucknell Women’s Track and Field was split up this weekend. While most of the team was home for the Bison Open and Multi on Friday, Jan. 26 and Saturday, Jan. 27,  others traveled to Penn State to compete in the National Open. 

At the Bison Open, the Bison started with crushing their competition in the distance medley relay. The “B” Team of Hollie Waters ’24, Hailey Tabar ’24, Mari Engleby ’24 and Eva Lindber ’24 won the event by nearly 13 seconds. This huge win earned them an ECAC qualification and 18th fastest speed in Division I. 

Several other Bison unlocked ECAC qualifications: Karen Hull ’24 who placed first in the 60-meter hurdles, Meghan Quinn ’24 who won the 200-meter dash, Siobhan O’Sullivan ’24 who won the shot put and Christine Ajao ’25 who came first in the weight throw.   

Samantha Cole ’27 and Bradley Weldon ’27 were more standout athletes for Bucknell, finishing fourth in the Orange Pentathlon with 2876 points and obtaining fifth in the 5000-meter run. 

Other successes included Laura Posh ’27 winning the 1000-meter run and earning a #178 rank in Division I, Lindner coming first in the mile run, Alison Cooke ’26 finishing second in the 400-meter dash, Regan McGarth ’27 placing fourth in the 500-meter run, Meghan Rentner ’27 winning the 3000-meter with Lauren Joyce ’26 close behind in fourth and in the 800-meter run, Tabar coming second, Waters fourth, Katrina Torelli ’27 sixth and Engleby eighth.

In the weight throw, the Orange and Blue dominated. Ajo’s toss of 55-02.75 etched her in first and an garnered ECAC qualification, as it was the fifth best throw in Bucknell history. Prizila Negrete ’27 grabbed silver, Madison McGloin ’24 placed fourth, Annie Glenning ’24 finished fifth and O’Sullivan at eighth.

There were four Bucknell jumpers who earned top ten in the high jump. Abby Kates ’24 won gold at 5-5, Hull finished second at 5-5, Madeline Lehker ’26 earned fourth at 5-3 and Olivia Boyce ’24 placed seventh at 5-3. 

In the triple jump, Megan Baggetta ’27 finished second and narrowly missed the entry into Bucknell’s top ten. Another Bucknell jumper who did well was Kaia Slaw ’24, finishing in sixth.

Meanwhile at the PSU National Open, in the mile run, Abby Paczewski ’24 and Caryn Rippey ’26 entered Bucknell’s top time for the mile run. Paczewski finished 36th (4:54.05) in the event with Rippey right behind her at 37th (4:54.64). These times entered Paczewski sixth in Bucknell history and Rippey eighth. 

There were three other Bucknell runners who broke into the top ten. In the 200-meter dash, Quinn won silver, while in the 5000-meter run Margaret McLoughlin ’25 earned ninth and Lauren Trapani ’25 garnered tenth. 

Additionally, Bucknell’s “A” Team distance medley relay of Paczewski, Colleen Linko ’24, Anna Posh ’25 and Rippey finished fifth. Their time of 11:47.92 placed them eighth in Bucknell history. 

This Friday, Feb. 2, the Bison will travel to Ohio for the Akron Invitational.