Track sets sights on elusive league title

By Katherine Harris

As the holiday season quickly approaches, winter sports seasons are set to begin and anticipation is rising. Two teams more than ready to represent the Orange and Blue this season are the men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams.

While both of the Bison squads have performed very well in the past few outdoor track and field seasons, the teams often do not place quite as well in their indoor competitions against fellow Patriot League opponents. This year, the Orange and Blue hope to change that pattern, focusing on the Indoor Patriot League Championships that they will be hosting on campus in February.

“Although the programs are structured for great success during the outdoor spring season, we do believe we have enough talent and depth to make a run at a couple league titles this winter,” head coach Kevin Donner said.

The women’s squad is entering the season with hopes of bringing home the title. Though they’ve won the past three outdoor titles, they have struggled a bit more in the indoor arena, claiming only one of the last three championships. This year, the team’s top opponent will be a strong Navy squad. The Orange and Blue hope to challenge them as they push towards the spring season as well. Some top team members to watch include Stephanie Fulmer ’12 in distance and Sarah Bella ’12 with the shot put.

“The women’s track and field team is looking to do big things this coming indoor season. We have our sights set on winning a Patriot League Cup and have the advantage of hosting the Indoor Championships this season to do so,” Fulmer said. “We will be faced with the challenge of competing against a very solid Navy team, who just recently won the Cross Country Championships in a close 53-56 loss.”

The men’s team is also headed into their season, looking at Army and Navy as their top opponents in their quest for the league title. The Bison have won the outdoor track and field championship the past two years, and are hoping for strong performances from all of their top members in the winter as preparation to continue their outdoor streak. Some notable team members to watch will be Ted Heitzman ’12 with the javelin, Justin Hicks ’13 in sprints and Robert Arent ’12 in hurdles.

As they head into their opener this weekend, all will be watching to see the Orange and Blue start off their season.