Women's Basketball's Fedorjaka steps down after 14 seasons

Chris McCree

Sports Editor

After fourteen seasons with the University, Kathy Fedorjaka officially announced her resignation as head coach of the women’s basketball team this past Friday night. Since taking the job in 1997, Fedorjaka accumulated 209 wins and led the Bison to three 20-win seasons, as well as NCAA tournament appearances in 2002 and 2008, but has failed to achieve much success during the past three seasons.

“Over my last 15 years as head coach of the Bison women’s basketball team, I have come to love this university community and to care deeply about the student-athletes past and present that it has been my privilege to coach,” said Fedorjaka in an official statement. “There comes a moment in every coach’s career when the difficult decision becomes whether it is time to step aside, and the time has come for me to move in a different direction.”

Fedorjaka’s decision, to take effect immediately, comes amidst a disappointing 2-15 start to the 2011-2012 season in which the Orange and Blue are 0-3 in league play. Replacing Fedorjaka as head coach is second-year assistant Bill Broderick who has ten years of collegiate coaching experience to date.

The Orange and Blue have 10 games remaining in the season, all against Patriot League opponents.  Although winless, the team is by no means out of title contention and Broderick will be faced with challenge to make the struggling team a contender once again.

“Kathy was extremely passionate about coaching, and she was able to elevate the program to competitive heights never before seen in the Bison women’s basketball program” said John Hardt, director of athletics and recreation.  “Despite the team’s record this season, I am confident that the program can quickly rise back to that championship level.”