Men's swimming avenges last season's loss

By Scott Padula

The men’s swimming and diving team concluded its dual meet season by defeating Lehigh on the road Saturday, 191-107. The win gave the men their best record since the 2008-09 season at 7-2 overall and 5-1 in the Patriot League.

“It’s always a big meet when we face them. The last time we swam them at their pool they destroyed us, so it was really great to see how we came out swinging, and never let down until the meet was over,” said Mike Nicholson ’14. “A team like them if you give up any points, they can capitalize and make the meet a lot closer than we would have wanted, so luckily that didn’t happen.”

The Bison took first place in 14 of the 16 events. Eric Sokolosky ’12, Matthew Segar ’12, Christian Treat ’13 and Mike Nicholson ’14 led the charge, each capturing two first-place victories. Segar won the 200 and 500-yard freestyle, Treat took the 100 and 200 breastroke and Nicholson captured the 200 butterfly and 200 individual medley. Sokolosky won the 50 and 100 freestyle.”

Sokolosky also was part of the winning 200 medley and 400 freestyle relay teams, giving him a team-high four first-place wins. Other Orange and Blue winners on the day included Thomas Brown ’12, Taylor Harris ’12, Trevor Reitz ’14 and George Beatty ’15. Notable performances also came from Billy Krause ’13 and Ben Seketa ’15. Krause edged out Seketa for second place in the 200 individual medley, while Seketa finished second in both the 100 and 200 breastroke.

“We have been training very hard this year, and it is no surprise that our guys have performed so well.  It was very satisfying to go to Lehigh and beat them in their own pool after they did the same to us last year. We look forward to continuing our high level of intensity and improving as championship season draws near,” Evan Palumbo ’12 said.

The Orange and Blue end their regular season this weekend in Annapolis, Md. to compete at the Navy Invitational.