Broderick named women's basketball interim coach

By Eric Brod

After the resignation of longtime women’s basketball coach Kathy Fedorjaka, assistant coach Bill Broderick has been named interim coach for the remainder of this season. Broderick is currently serving his second year on the coaching staff and most recently served as an assistant coach at Elon from 2008 to 2010 and Pittsburgh from 1998 to 2002.

While winless in the Patriot League, the team has played well since Broderick took over coaching responsibilities.

“There hasn’t been much adjustment because Coach Broderick was already a part of the program and kept things going very well,” Rachel Voss ’13 said. “However, the most difficult thing for the team immediately following Coach Fed’s resignation was handling the surprise and staying focused on the upcoming games.”

On both offense and defense, the players have responded positively to Coach Broderick, even if the results are yet to be seen in the win-loss column. 

“We’ve all responded so well to Coach B stepping in to the head coaching position,” Alyssa Dunn ’13 said. “We already had a great relationship with him, and he, Coach Langford and Coach Adams have really been doing everything they can to make the transition as seamless as possible. The entire team is focused on moving forward with the season and we are excited to see what lies ahead for us. 

“Defensively, we have been putting a lot of focus on maintaining constant full-court pressure on defense. Offensively, we’ve started utilizing a scheme that contains more motion-oriented sets that give us the chance to freelance and create the best possible shots for ourselves and our teammates,” Dunn said.

While the results do not yet show it, this young Bison squad has shown poise amidst great change and is primed for an improved finish to the 2011-2012 campaign.