Men's soccer wins one

By Joe Ruby

The men’s soccer team split a pair of games this week, defeating Drexel (4-3-1) by a 2-1 margin in double overtime at home on Tuesday after dropping the Patriot League opener 3-1 at American (4-3-0, 1-0-0) on the previous Saturday.

Brendan Burgdorf ’13 and Josh Plump ’13 scored in the come-from-behind victory and Brendan Klebanoff ’12 scored his first career goal in the loss.

Burgdorf’s goal against the Dragons tied the game at 1-1 with 1:23 remaining in regulation. Burgdorf took a throw-in from Joe Meyer ’14 and blasted a long shot that curved just inside the post. After a scoreless first overtime period, the Bison clinched the win when Plump scored his second goal of the year 23 seconds into the second half. The forward stole the ball from a Drexel defender, dribbled down the sideline to cross into the box, and hit a shot from 15 yards out.

The Bison were trailing after Drexel’s Anthony Bafile scored with 2:07 remaining in the first half. Andrew Goldberg’s shot hit the crossbar, but Bafile was in position to head in his third goal of the season. Marc Hartmann ’12 turned away three shots, including one with seconds remaining in regulation and another in the first overtime period. The Bison outshot the Dragons 16-13 and earned three corner kicks to Drexel’s two.

On Saturday, the Bison’s troubles on the road continued as American scored the first three goals of the contest before Klebanoff’s tally for the Bison.

Mike Worden provided the opening goal at the 25:47 mark, cleaning up a loose ball near the net. Nick Kapus added another for the Eagles 13 minutes later, scoring his first of the year off of a cross from Jack Scott, who also assisted the first goal. American added to its lead in the eighth minute of the second half when Cristobal Soto connected on a long shot that put the game largely out of reach for the Bison.

Klebanoff, who missed the entire 2009 season because of an injury, tallied his first career goal at the 57:21 mark on a pass from Andrew Powell ’12. The Bison outshot the Eagles 24-14 and held a 14-0 advantage in corner kicks but could not capitalize on their many opportunities.

The Bison (3-5-0, 0-1-0) play at home on Saturday, Oct. 2 at 7 p.m., taking on Navy in a Patriot League match-up. The team also hosts UMBC on Tuesday, Oct. 5 at 7 p.m.