Stay Sweet Cupcakery

Emily Guillen | The Bucknellian
White chocolate raspberry cupcake from the Stay Sweet Cupcakery.

Emily Guillen
Editor-in-Chief

With cupcakes being all the rage right now, I wanted to try Lewisburg’s latest foray into the fad: the Stay Sweet Cupcakery.

Located next to The Bull Run Inn at 611 Market St., the shop offers cupcakes, ice cream, Italian cream sodas and other sweet treats. There is also a shop located on S. Market Street in Selinsgrove.

I decided to test six cupcakes and an Italian cream soda. Among the many cupcake offerings, my dining partner and I chose to taste chocolate peanut butter swirl, white chocolate raspberry, chocolate with vanilla buttercream frosting, Boston cream, red velvet with cream cheese frosting and black and white.

The chocolate peanut butter swirl was definitely the favorite of the six. The chocolate cake was moist with a creamy peanut butter and fudge swirled icing. The taste resembled a really creamy Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.

Unfortunately, our second pick in the cupcake draft turned out to be a disappointment.  The white chocolate raspberry’s pink icing looked amazing but fell flat. It was way too sweet and neither the cake nor the icing had a strong enough raspberry flavor.

To make it worse, we found the chocolate with vanilla buttercream frosting to be a bit of a disappointment with bland flavor and overly sweet icing.

I didn’t particularly care for the Boston cream cupcake, but my partner in food review crime enjoyed it, except for the slightly stale cake portion.

The red velvet cupcake brought the Stay Sweet Cupcakery back into my good graces.  With red velvet cake and cream cheese icing as one of my favorite combinations, I was pleased to find the cake moist and the icing fluffy.

Emily Guillen | The Bucknellian
Black & white cupcake from the Stay Sweet Cupcakery.

The black and white, while fairly traditional (chocolate cupcake, vanilla icing with a small shot of chocolate icing in the middle), kept me interested. The little shot of chocolate gave a nice kick to the classic.

After seeing the Italian cream sodas on the menu, I decided to top off my cupcake meal with a raspberry soda. While delicious, it was a little sweet and its creaminess left me feeling a little heavy.

Overall, the bakery had some highs and some lows, but I recommend you check it out. The only things to note are the prices. For a small, rural town like Lewisburg, $2.55 per cupcake seems a little high. At least the slightly discounted prices of $15 for six and $28 for a dozen are a little more reasonable.

Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 12 to 8 p.m.