Women's Volleyball Week 8

Mike Wolf

The women’s volleyball team made another positive move in the Patriot League with a 3-1 win against Navy last Friday night. Twenty-four hours later, the team suffered a heartbreaking loss against American to move to 6-3 in Patriot League play.

Kristen Titley ’14 had one of the best performances of the weekend, recording her first career double-double Friday night. She posted a career-high 19 kills and 14 digs in the four set match against Navy.

Titley contributed heavily to the Bison’s success as she more than doubled her previous personal best in kills. After a tough loss in the first set, the Orange and Blue came back to win the match 22-25, 27-25, 25-23, 25-23.

Heidi Kamp ’11 blocked three balls which put her at fourth on the all-time block list. She currently has 302 blocks. Head Coach Cindy Opalski also found a career milestone, coaching her 600th match for the school.

Katie Baumgarten ’12 had a career night with 15 kills. In the second and fourth sets, Baumgarten helped to propel the offense with six kills in these two sets during long runs by the Bison.

Moving into third place in the Patriot League following Friday’s game, the Orange and Blue were faced with a tough challenge against American, who holds first place in the division. The Bison lost in straight sets.

In the first two sets of Saturday’s match, no Bison had more than a single kill until the third set. The Bison lost the first two sets 25-11 and 25-7, but lost only 25-20 in the third.

The third set brought some offensive improvement as Kamp, Titley and Kyleigh McAhren ’12 had more than one kill. The Orange and Blue were only able to put together 18 kills and three blocks as a team.

The Bison will need to get past the tough loss as they finish their road trip with a game at Colgate at 4 p.m. this Saturday.