Alpha Lambda Delta Ceremony inducts First-Year Students

Cooper Josephs, Staff Writer

The Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society inducted over 100 students on Feb. 20 into the University’s chapter.

The formal Inductee Ceremony included dinner, live music, and a speech given by Associate Professor of Mathematics Karl Voss.

The Alpha Lambda Delta society recognizes high academic achievement in students’ first semester of college. Those admitted were in the top 20 percent of their class and obtained a 3.5 GPA or higher during the fall semester. This year marks the 76th anniversary the society has been at the University.

Five committees were added to the chapter this year: scholarship, volunteering, social events, planning for the initiation dinner for the following year, and historian. Rachel Greenberg ’15, who was the vice president last year and is the current co-president with Tyler Bogaczyk ’15, believes these additions will be beneficial to the chapter.

“We revamped the induction ceremony as well as created committees in order to get our members more involved,” Greenberg said.

The officers went through the tradition of reading the Greek that went along with the society. Inductees then received a pin and a certificate. They then signed the chapter book, making them official members of Alpha Lambda Delta.

“When I was a freshman the induction was pretty simple,” Bogaczyk said. “There wasn’t really anything more to it, and there wasn’t very much going on after the society inducted you. We really wanted to change how this was being done, and so last year was the first year we had the dinner ceremony and this year we have taken it to another level again by trying to make it more of an event.”

Lynn Breyfogle, co-advisor of the society and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, congratulated the new inductees on their accomplishments and introduced Voss. Voss remarked on the lasting effects of the University’s education and what it means to be a member of the society.

“Do not think of [entrance] as a complement in and of itself, but an auspicious sign for what you have yet to do in the next three and a half years. What will you do so that 20 years from now when somebody asks you why you are here, part of your answer will involve things you did at Bucknell?” Voss said.

“I really enjoyed the speaker. I thought he was very engaging and made a very welcoming environment since it was the start of the night,” inductee Gabby Gottschall ’17 said.

After dinner the “’Ray Band” played a few songs for the inductees. Bogaczyk was on guitar, Raffi Berberian ’14 was on base, and Tricia Collins ’14 played the guitar and sang.

“We played classic songs like ‘Brown-Eyed Girl’ and ‘Wanted Dead or Alive’ and some new stuff like ‘Let Her Go,’ ‘I See Fire,’ and ‘Skyscraper,'” Bogaczyk said.

The event was also a good opportunity to meet and greet.

“There was about a half an hour in the beginning where we got to talk to other people and I met a lot of freshman I never knew before,” Gottschall said. “The event ended at 7 p.m. but I hung around till about 7:30 and had coffee with some of the girls that I just met.”