Shot-putters take home top honors at this weekends invites: Nnadi gets her groove back

Elizabeth Duswalt, Staff Writer

Leading the Orange and Blue women’s track team at the Youngstown State National Invite on Feb. 7, Sophia Nnadi ’16 won the shot put with an ECAC qualifying score. She earned the fourth-best mark in program history on her fourth throw of the day with a mark at 45-10.

Nnadi just came back from a fall semester abroad and has been getting back in the groove of things to prove herself before Patriot League Championships.

“My coach basically told me to treat these last few throws like practice, so I did. I was so relieved to get one good throw in, and then was thrilled that the throw earned me the win,” Nnadi said.

The Bison also had two top-five athletes in the 800-meter run. Andrea Bourgal ’16 took fourth in 2:18.09 while Morgan Roche ’15 took fifth in 2:18.52. Roche was also the runner up in the 1000-meter run.

Lauren Hudson ’18 finished fourth in the high jump and Elizabeth Sheprow ’17 came in fifth in the 3000m.

At Notre Dame’s Meyo Invitational, which was hosted the same day as the Youngstown State Invite, two freshmen moved up in the program history. Efe Agege ’18 came in ninth in the triple jump with a leap of 12.44m, improving on her own second-place standing in the school record book. She also won the Patriot League Female Rookie of the week award. Christine Bendzinski ’18 ran the mile in 4:53.28 to record the third-fastest time in program history.

Bendzinski also broke the school’s top-10 list with the distance medley relay. Accompanied by Jen Silvestri ’16, Reagan Cerney ’17, and Sarah Chandler ’17, the relay finished eighth with a time of 11:55.18, the seventh-fastest time in the school record book.

All in all, it was a successful weekend for the women’s track team. The next meet up for the Bison women is the Bucknell Tune-Up on Feb. 13.