Lady Bison led by strong juniors

By Joyce Novacek

Stephanie Fulmer ’12 and Emily Liggett ’12 led the Bison strong races in the 3,000 meters and 1,000 meters, respectively, as 12 members of the women’s track and field team traveled to New Haven, Conn. for the Giegengack Invitational hosted by Yale on Feb. 5.

“While only a small group of athletes from our team traveled to the Giegengack Invitational, it was a great opportunity and motivator to help some individuals qualify for the IC4A/ECAC meet or run a faster time for a better seed at the league championships,” Fulmer said. “After running a PR for the season, it was encouraging to see many other teammates perform well in the same events, showing that we have strong depth leading into the championships.”

Caroline Tolli ’13 also finished 15th overall for the 800 meters at Yale behind teammate Amanda Steinke ’11, who finished 14th.

The meet provided a chance for the Bison to prepare for the upcoming league championship, which will be hosted at Navy.

“Getting experience on a banked track [like Navy’s] is an important part of the preparation for Leagues, especially for the underclassmen who haven’t run indoor before,” Tolli said. “We also came out of the meet with some fast times, including a few IC4A/ECAC qualifiers. Our team is extremely excited to chase after a pair of indoor titles at the Patriot League meet.”

“I think that it will be key for everyone to remain healthy and focused as we get ready to compete at Navy in two weeks,” Fulmer said.

The Orange and Blue will host the Bucknell Winter Classic in Gerhard Fieldhouse on Saturday before traveling to Navy for the Patriot League Championships on Feb. 18-20.