Lady Bison win two huge games

By Eric Weiss

The women’s basketball team got back to its winning ways this week, downing Holy Cross 68-52 at home on Saturday and then beating Lafayette 46-34 in a defensive struggle at home on Wednesday.

With a tape-to-tape win against the Crusaders, the Bison demonstrated just how dominant they could be. The trio of Rachel Voss ’13, Shelby Romine ’14 and Felicia Mgbada ’13 led the scoring attack for the Bison, all tallying in the double digits for points.

The first half of the game was all Bison as the Orange and Blue dominated play on both sides of the ball, never allowing Holy Cross to get into a rhythm. Early in the second half the Bison had built a solid 21-point lead, and the game looked all but put away.

“Some games you make everything while some games you don’t. Our game against Holy Cross just happened to be a great shooting night for us,” Voss said.

Holy Cross went on a 10-0 run and was able to narrow the score to 57-48. But Romine helped stem the tide though with a three-pointer of her own to silence the Holy Cross rally.

After the dust settled, the Bison came away with the win and some impressive statistics, making the Holy Cross game one of the best in their season. Voss ended as the points leader with 14, but Romine and Mgbada were both close on her heels with 13 each.

At home against Lafayette, the Bison built a comfortable lead of 9-0 in the first half and never looked back. The closest the Leopards would come to regaining the lead was 12-7 just minutes later, but the Orange and Blue built a comfortable 16-point lead with just under five minutes to go in the first half.

In the second half it was the same story for the Bison as they built a 21-point lead with just over 11 minutes to go in the contest.

Higham was the leading scorer for the home team, netting 11 points and 14 rebounds. The point totals were well spread for the Bison with almost all players seeing significant action.

The Orange and Blue will use these two games as building blocks as they head toward the Patriot League tournament, peaking at exactly the right time.

“At this point, our focus is finishing top four in the league in order to secure a home game in the first round of the tournament,” Voss said.

To accomplish this goal, the team’s next  three games will be critical. The Bison play at home against Colgate tomorrow, and on the road at Lehigh and at Army next week.