Women's lacrosse faces tough losses, goes 1-3

By Andrew Arnao

The women’s lacrosse team went 1-3 over the last two weeks, winning against Mount St. Mary while falling to Duquesne and Patriot League rivals Navy and Lehigh.

On the first Saturday of spring break, the Orange and the Blue faced Navy in their Patriot League opener and were handed at 17-7 loss. Madison Hurwitz ’13 led the offense for the Bison with four goals, while Katelyn Miller ’14, Andrea Feldman ’14 and Molly Ford ’14 scored a goal apiece. Goalie Alyssa DeLorenz ’11 made a career-high 19 saves, including 13 in the first half to keep the Bison in the game.

The following Wednesday, the Bison won their second game of the season by a score of 12-11 against Mount St. Mary’s. Ali Carey ’14 scored four goals in the first four minutes of the game, while team captain Julia Braun ’11 scored six goals. Hurwitz and Miller also scored goals.

“We came out to play from the first minute and never gave up till the game was over,” Carey said. “We did everything right all over the field, the defense had so many great stops, our transition was successful, our offense really executed the game plan and the energy from everyone was amazing.”

Against Lehigh last Saturday, the Bison were defeated 19-2 by the Mountain Hawks. Carey and Hurwitz had a goal apiece as the team managed only six shots on goal, compared to Lehigh’s 43. The Bison also struggled with turnovers, making 25 during the game.

“I truly think that everyone on the team gave their best effort and tried as hard as they could but nothing went our way,” Carey said. “We have an incredibly positive team so I know we will bounce back without a problem.”

The Bison played a strong second half against Duquesne on Tuesday but were unable to overcome a 10-point first half by the Dukes, falling by a score of 15-9. Miller scored four goals, Carey scored three goals, and Braun and Adrienne Wendling’13 scored one goal each.

“We came out a little flat but definitely turned it around in the second half to accomplish all of the goals that we set for ourselves before the game,” attackman Amanda Ayers ’14 said.

In the game against Duquesne, DeLorenz recorded her 600th save, making her the fifth goalie to do so in the history of the program. She is also currently the national leader in saves, with 129.

The Bison, now 2-8 on the season, will visit Patriot League rival American at 1 p.m. tomorrow.