Bucknell announces varsity Spikeball team

Jon Meier, Satire Co-Editor

On Tuesday, October 17, the University athletics department announced the addition of men and women’s spikeball as varsity sports. The decision arrives following a demand for more variety in athletics from the alumni association. The popular lawn game combines skills taken from volleyball and handball, where two teams of two people must juggle a small rubber ball back and forth on a miniature trampoline.  

“At Bucknell, we like to consider ourselves one of the most forward-thinking schools when it comes to athletics. We’re looking forward to seeing the diversity of students that this sport will attract to our school,” said Michael Green, athletic coordinator for the Bison.  

Spikeball was one of many sports that athletics staff considered adding to the varsity roster. Others included table tennis, fencing, and capoeira. A preliminary schedule includes perennial lawn game powerhouses such as Oberlin College and Sarah Lawrence College, who have a combined 37 NCAA championships in Kan Jam and Bocce Ball.

The team will play in Sojka Pavillion for the time being while plans for a Spikeball specific arena by the tennis courts are prepared. Tryouts for the current student body will be held on November 1 in Gerhard Fieldhouse. In anticipation of a large applicant pool, the athletics staff has requested that those interested in trying out for the team submit a 2-3 minute highlight reel as well as your height, weight, and 40 yard dash time.