Lucido '11 sets all-time wins record

By Cooper Sutton

Sports Editor

Lauren Lucido ’11, with a dominating 6-0 , 6-1 No. 1 singles win against Colgate last Saturday, broke the all-time Bison record for career wins with a record of 162-69. The team won its road match 6-1.

It seems that nerves did not play into Lucido’s record-shattering performance. Her crushing win over her Colgate opponent saw her not only win easily, but efficiently. Lucido was the first player to finish her match in both the singles and doubles rounds.

Lucido handily won her No. 1 doubles match with her partner Dumitrita Iepuras ’12, 8-3. With another doubles victory from Dara Dwojewski ’11 and Elena Vidriscu ’14, 8-2, the Bison took the overall doubles point.

In singles, the Orange and Blue only faced one loss in the number six position. The match was not easy, with three of the other five matches going to three sets. Only Lucido and No. 5 Dwojewski won easily. Dwojewski beat her Colgate opponent 6-0, 6-0.

The Bison had two comeback performances at the second and third spots. Iepuras, after losing a tough first set 6-2, bounced back to take the next two sets with relative ease, 6-2 6-4.

No. 3 player Lauren Rottkamp ’11 lost her first set in a tie-breaker, but she bounced back to win the next two sets 6-3, 6-4.

Lucido, with her monumental win, stole the show, tying then surpassing Veronica Brown ’06 for perhaps the most prestigious honor in the Bison women’s tennis program. At this point in her career, she remains in second place on both the all-time singles and doubles victories lists. She needs three wins in both categories to tie first.

She will look to continue to inch closer to those records tomorrow as her team plays at home against Patriot League rival Army.