Library kittens try to scratch their way to the top

Liz Whitmer, Contributing Writer

Midterms are quickly approaching, but the students on campus are not the only ones feeling the pressure. The University’s decision to bring in therapy animals to help students relax has done just the opposite — it has created an environment of animosity between library kittens and library puppies.

At Bertrand Library, the puppies, a traditional University favorite, have taken campus by storm as they have been getting the majority of the attention over the course of the last few weeks. Their events have been widely publicized, and they continue to grow more popular as people take selfies with them and they litter students’ social media accounts.

Meanwhile, on the other side of Bertrand, the library kittens, otherwise known as the “Courtyard Kitties,” are working their tails off to gain the same kind of attention at their events. The Bucknellian obtained an exclusive interview with the public relations representative for the library kittens, Fey Feline ’21, who is not only trying to increase public support for the kittens, but is also trying to get to the bottom of why they have not been well-received as of late.

“Truthfully, I am just not very impressed with the performance by the puppies,” Feline said.  “The stereotype of being ‘man’s best friend’ is played out.”

The kittens, who are known for being reserved and cold toward any attention that comes their way, have been reported for causing more stress in students who visit them to unwind from the daily pressures on campus.  

Henry Hurt ’23 was a victim of one of the library kittens when he was taking a study break.  

“The puppies were already surrounded, so I went over to the kittens because I figured they were the next best thing,” Hunt said. “I started petting one of them, and all of a sudden, it latched on to my wrist with its teeth and clawed at my forearm. I had to go to Evangelical for liability reasons, which was a total waste of time.”

The library puppies, who monopolize any area they occupy, seem unconcerned about sharing their attention with the kittens. This has created tensions between the two groups whenever they are in the same area, as shown by the puppies’ tendency to bark and jump at the kittens.

The University is considering bringing in other therapy animals to replace the kittens if their ratings do not improve, with options including therapy turtles, hamsters and pythons.