New business ideas presented and judged at BizPitch Competition
RAs elect to establish RA union on campus
How do we handle a culture of burnout?
Women’s Track and Field dominates Colonial Relays

“Quiet on Set” reveals harsh truth about children’s TV

Making a difference locally: Students bring back The Listening Post

Track teams finish 2nd, 8th

Eric Brod

Senior Writer

The Bison men’s and women’s track and field teams continued their strong spring seasons with an impressive showing at the Colonial Relays last weekend in Williamsburg, Va. The men’s team finished second while the women’s team came away with an eighth place finish.

The Bison men finished the Colonial Relays with a team total of 113 points, while first-place Rutgers won with 128. The top performers for the Orange and Blue were the members of the 4×100 meter relay, who finished in first place in 41.53 seconds. Also shining for the Bison was Christian Lupica ’15, who finished first among collegiate competitors in the 100-meter hurdles in 14.25 seconds, which set a career best and broke the program record previously set in 2012.

“Breaking a school record is always fun,” Lupica said. “They aren’t usually the main goal, but through trying to run fast and [achieve] competitive times, they become secondary goals that help to motivate me and are exciting to surpass.”

In the field, Luke Webster ’13 finished second in the discus with a throw of 160-2 feet, while teammate Leonard Joseph ’13 finished in sixth with a throw of 148-3 feet. In the triple jump, Ray Holmes ’14 finished second with a jump of 49-4 1/4.

For the women, many individuals and relays shined en route to an eighth place finish for the Orange and Blue. The team finished with 53 points, while winner Rutgers finished with 104. The 4×200 meter relay team of Jennifer Zymet ’14, Sasha Hornock ’13, Jess Bridle ’16 and Kim Nagotko ’15 finished in 1:41.35 minutes, which set a new program record en route to a third place finish.

“The race strategy for a 4×200 is just to have all four people run their fastest in the same race, which is hard to do,” Hornock said. “Additionally, having three smooth handoffs can make a substantial difference in the relay time.”

The distance medley relay also put up a strong performance, finishing third in 11:57.32 minutes. In the field, Abby Monaghan ’13 finished fourth in the discus with a throw of 138-3 feet, and Alexandra Romanelli ’13 finished seventh in the triple jump with a jump of 36-4 1/4.

The Bison will host their first home meet of the season this weekend at the Bison Outdoor Classic, which is scheduled to take place from April 13-14 at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.