Athlete of the Week: Karen Hull ’24

After Karen Hull ’24’s performance at the annual Gulden Invitational this past weekend, the senior has been named Bison of the Week for the second time during her 2023-2024 campaign. Now holding four Bucknell records, Hull set a Bucknell indoor record this weekend with her leap of 19-6.00, which won her the event and gave the Bison ten points. 

Despite never having competed in the indoor long jump before Saturday, Jan. 20, Hull’s jump is ranked 60th in Division I for the 2023-2024 season. 

I was really excited for this meet because a couple of the alumni were back for our formals, and to watch the meet,” said Hull. “My goal for this weekend was to simply improve from last weekend. For the long jump I really just wanted to get a mark. I’m not really a long jumper so I don’t practice that often so I wasn’t expecting much. I surprised myself and my team when I broke the record. It shows me and the rest of my team that anything is possible and we just gotta keep working hard!”

In addition to winning the long jump, Hull earned ten points and ECAC qualification, and took home third in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.86, which gave her team 6 points. 

The Bison won the Gulden Invitational, beating the second-place team by 97 points. 

Not only has Hull won the Athlete of the Week award twice in the span of two months, but she also won it in Jan. 2023, due to her outstanding performance at last year’s Gulden Invitational. 

“Goals that I have for myself for the rest of the season is to just stay consistent and to get my hurdle time down and improve my high jump,” Hull stated. “This team has such great athletes and motivation that I am so excited to see what we all grow into. This team inspires me to be the best that I can be. I hope that that translates into Patriot Leagues.”

The multi-event athlete (Jumps/Hurdles) will be back in action next Saturday at the National Open at Penn State.