Softball opens season

Thomas Walter

After winning its season opener, the softball team dropped three straight during its road trip in Cleveland last weekend. The final scores were an 8-7 victory against St. Bonaventure, two losses (3-0, 6-2) to Cleveland State and a 4-1 loss to Canisius.

Mallory Lyons ’14 led the Bison with three hits and three RBIs, as the Orange and Blue defeated St. Bonaventure 8-7 in 10 innings. Caryn Connors ’14, who pinch-ran and scored the go-ahead run for the Bison in the ninth inning, was pleased with the Bison’s performance.

“Our first game win was a great start to the season. We battled through 10 innings to get the win so that made it that much more special,” Connors said. “However, there is still a lot more work to be done and we have not lost sight of that.”

The Bison dropped their next three games, two to Cleveland State with a game against Canisius in between. Connors, who also pinch-ran in the fourth and final game of the weekend, said that the team will continue to just focus on the little things as the season gets underway.

“Winning our first game of the season proves that we have a lot of potential this year. It also gave us a perspective on what was successful and what wasn’t which will help us tremendously in the practices and games to come,” Connors said.

Lyons has a team-leading .375 batting average, as well as three RBIs. The Bison will be back in action this weekend as the travel to Farmville, Va. to compete against Stony Brook and Longwood in the Longwood Spring Classic.