Women’s Water Polo goes 2-2 over weekend

Bucknell Women’s Water Polo spent the weekend in Ann Arbor, Michigan competing in the Michigan Invitational.

On day one, they took on St. Francis and UC Merced, winning both matchups.

In game one, six different players scored for the Bison. Isabelle Monaghan ’24 notched two goals, and Boati Motau ’25, Bella Schraa ’26, Anna Plante ’26, Gwen Kallmeyer ’26, Malli Challa ’26 and Caitlin Stott ’27 scored goals of their own. St. Francis opened this match on a 3-1 run in the first quarter before the Bison got back into it. At the start of the second quarter, Bucknell went on a 7-0 run and never looked back from there, winning 7-6.

In game two, the Bison dominated UC Merced, 19-5. The first-years made their presence known for Bucknell in this one, combining for 13 of the team’s 19 goals. Bucknell got out to a quick 8-0 lead, only giving up two goals in the first half to UC Merced. 

Campbell Collins ’27, Regan Coon ’27 and Stott all etched four points of their own into the box score. 

“Everyone showed up ready to fight for those wins and we really played like a team,” Monaghan said. “We had great communication especially on defense which is something we’ve been working on, so it really came together for us.”

Goalkeeper Tamara Torkos ’27 had an outstanding day in net, recording 12 saves against St. Francis and a 71% save percentage against UC Merced.

On March 24th, Bucknell couldn’t keep the momentum rolling taking losses to host Michigan and Long Beach State. Against Michigan, the team lost 9-5, then they fell to the Beach 14-7.

Next up, the Orange and Blue host Michigan again on Friday, Harvard and Brown on Saturday and Princeton on Sunday.