Baseball has busy 2-3 weekend

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Bucknell Baseball had a very action-packed three days. The Bison hosted two games against Holy Cross and two games against Army. Then, Bucknell traveled to Emmitsburg, Maryland to play Mount St. Mary’s. After the five games were completed, the Bison finished the weekend 2-3.

On Sunday, March 24, Bucknell faced off against Holy Cross twice and split the doubleheader. The Bison won the first game, a seven-inning affair, 10-3, but fell 11-5 in the second game with nine innings. 

In the first game, Bucknell’s hitting powered the offense. The Bison fell behind 2-0 early on but came alive in the fourth and fifth innings. The team scored five runs in each inning. 

In the fourth inning, the first five Bison hitters all got on base and scored. Billy Kender ’25 singled to left, Michael Trommer ’26 walked and Nic Adamo ’24 singled to score Kender. Billy Fluharty ’27 followed with a walk to fully load the bases. Andrew Swenson ’27 stepped up big and smashed a base-clearing triple, giving the Bison a 4-2 advantage. 

Bucknell added five more runs in the fifth inning. Adamo doubled to left field to score Kender, Fluharty reached on an error and Trommer scored. Additionally, Swenson hit an RBI grounder to tally Adamo, Jacob Corson ’24 walked, Sean Keys ’25 dialed up an RBI single and a Grant Voytovich ’24 RBI finished the scoring at 10-2. 

Throughout the game, Tyler O’Neill ’25 pitched six solid innings on the mound.

In the second game, the roles reversed. Bucknell came out with a 2-0 lead, but Holy Cross immediately counterattacked in the third inning. The Crusaders seized the lead in the fifth inning and kept the momentum for the rest of the game. Holy Cross overpowered Bucknell on offense and the Bison were unable to catch up.

On Monday, March 25, Bucknell hosted five-time reigning Patriot League Champions, Army. In the first game, the Bison lost 9-1 and fell in the second 21-5. 

The Bison started first-year pitchers in both games. Corson led the way with three hits in the second contest, and Tyler Dunn ’25 and Trommer both had three hits on the day. 

In the first game, Jack O’Malley ’27 breezed through the first three innings with seven strikeouts. Unfortunately, O’Malley lost his command in the fourth inning, as a hit batsman, two walks and a balk made it a 2-0 game. Army continued to tally runs, making it 5-0 and ending O’Malley’s afternoon. 

Throughout the game, the Bison we only able to score one run.

The second contest against Army was a blowout. The Bison were able to tally five runs, but unfortunately, it was not enough to catch up to Army’s 21. 

After the games with Army, Bucknell got ready for their nine games on the road.  Hoping to turn their week around, Bucknell traveled to Emmitsburg, Pennsylvania to play Mount Saint Mary’s in a non-league game. The Bison emerged victorious 16-14. 

In this game, Keys became the fourth player in Bucknell history to hit for the cycle as Bucknell held off Mount St. Mary’s. Keys went 4-for-5 with four runs batted in and three runs scored as the Bison piled up 17 hits off 11 Mount St. Mary’s Pitchers. Keys followed first-year Luke Nascimento’s three-run double with an RBI double of his own to tie the game in the fourth and get his cycle started. 

With six runs in the seventh inning and four more in the eighth, the Bison took a comfortable lead. In the final two innings, Mount Saint Mary’s began to creep back, but Bucknell stayed strong to win 16-14.

Now 10-14 on the season, Bucknell returns to action this Saturday and Sunday with a three-game Patriot League series at Holy Cross.