Men’s Golf takes fourth in Veterans Intercollegiate Tournament

Bison Men’s Golf finished its 2023 fall season this week at Sebonack Golf Club on Long Island for the Veterans Intercollegiate, where they competed against 11 teams including Veteran Golfers Association, Army, Binghamton, Bryant, Fairfield, Fordham, Holy Cross, Iona, LIU, Navy and Siena. 

Head Coach Mike Binney, who is a United States Marine Corps Veteran, created the concept of the Veterans Intercollegiate tournament at a golf course in 2021-22 and has invited the VGA to his home tournament at Bucknell in past years. 

The tournament took place over the course of two days. As of Monday, the Bison were in sixth place with a team score of 297. Leading the team was Alex Creamean ’27, who shot a 4-under 31 on the opening nine in order to get a 2-under 70. Creamean started the tournament with back-to-back birdies on the first two holes, and shot two more on 5 and 9. He dropped back to -1 with three bogeys on the back nine but hit yet another birdie at the par-5 18th. He has broken par in four of his last five rounds, and following Monday he was tied for fourth in a 60-player field at 2-under. 

Following Creamean was Andres Barraza ’26 with a score of 72, thanks to four birdies, four bogeys and 10 pars. Barraza was tied for 14th heading into Tuesday. James Key ’26 posted a 75, and James Robbins ’26 posted an 80. 

Out of the four Patriot League Teams in attendance—Bucknell, Holy Cross, Navy and Army—the Orange and Blue ranked the highest heading into Tuesday.

On Tuesday, Creamean shot another 2-under-par 70, making him the first Bucknell first-year to ever win a tournament title. Creamean shot four birdies and 13 pars on the way to a 4-under 140 for the week. He won the tournament by three shots over Fairfield and LIU players. The Bison placed fourth as a team with a score of 306. 

Other notable scores on Tuesday include 77s from Barraza and Robbins, and an 82 from Key. 

This marks the end of the Bison’s fall season until February when they will resume play.