Women's swimming wins four races

By Lindsay Regruto

Gina Gautieri ’15 clinched first place by 0.27 seconds in the 200-yard breaststroke to give the women’s swimming and diving team one of four wins on Saturday at the Navy Invitational in Annapolis, Md. The Orange and Blue faced Navy, American, Lafayette and Shippensburg in an unscored meet in preparation for the upcoming Patriot League Championship.

“…It was the last chance to see where we were individually and as a team with our training,” Gautieri said. “I felt we raced very well as a team and are ready for great performances at our championship meets.”

Gautieri’s first-place finish was her first victory of the season, and her time of 1:08:91 in the 100 breast put her at fifth on team’s 2011-2012 fastest time list. Elizabeth Porcellio ’13 added to the list of wins with a first-place finish in the 400 IM, claiming her victory by 5.83 seconds.

Katie Hetherington ’15 swept both diving events to give the Orange and Blue its other two wins. The first-year scored 231.15 on the one-meter, followed closely behind by teammate Tori Molchany ’15, who placed second with 222.10. Hetherington grabbed her first-place finish on three-meter with a score of 276.85.

“It was a fun meet to go to because it was one of the last meets before Patriots and everyone was pumped up and cheering everyone on,” Hetherington said.

Top Bison performers also included Emily Wright ’14, who came in second in the 50 free and Sydney Schroder ’15, who finished second in the 200 back.  The Orange and Blue did not have swimmers entered in every event, but used the meet to try swimmers in new, unfamiliar events.

The next competition will be the Patriot League Championships hosted at Navy. The three-day event begins Feb. 16.