W. track wins close contest

Lauren Boone

The Bison women’s track and field team traveled to Ohio to compete in the Youngstown State Invitational, where two school records were broken and a victory was claimed. Caroline Tolli ’13 rewrote the record books in the 1,000 meter, while Sasha Hornock ’13 registered a new best in the 60 meter race. The Orange and Blue were victorious by just 0.16 points.

Tolli led the competition in the 1,000 meter event, claiming first with 2:50.88. Close behind Tolli was runner-up Hana Casalnova ’14 with 2:54.22.

The Orange and Blue stole two additional individual wins. Katie Jessee ’15 won the 5,000 meter with 17:42.36, while Jennifer Zymet ’14 claimed first in the 500 meter with 1:16.06.

On the field, Yanelis Mestre ’15 posted a career best in the pole vault event. She tied for fifth, clearing a height of 11-5.75. In the long jump, Olivia Massey ’13 and Alyssa Cardillo ’14 took fourth and fifth place, respectively. In the weight throw, Abby Monaghan ’13 claimed fourth.

After the first day of competition, the Bison collected a total of 85.5 points. This put the Orange and Blue in the lead by 12.5 points over Dayton, who stood in second place.

The next day of competition proved just as successful for the Bison. Hornock set a new record in the 60 meter with 7.74 seconds, while Tolli claimed another first-place finish in the 800 meter with 2:13.17.

Kim Nagotko ’15 was the runner-up in the 200 meter event with 25.13. Beth Braunegg ’14 claimed second place in the mile with 5:01.12. Montana DiPietrantonio ’15 took the bronze in the 3,000 meter event with 10:14.91. Finally, the 4×400 relay team finished third with 3:52.45.

The Bison ultimately reigned as victors with a lead of less than one point over Duquesne.

“The team had a good meet overall. We were able to beat Duquesne, which shows how much we have improved as a team this season. We had previously lost to them by over 30 points. We are looking to use the momentum of this meet for the Patriot League Championships in two weeks,” Hornock said.

The Orange and Blue will compete in their last meet before the Patriot League Championships at the Bucknell Winter Classic Saturday in Gerhard Fieldhouse.