A successful Patriot League Championship meet for Track

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Over the weekend, Indoor Track and Field traveled to Boston, MA to compete in the two-day Patriot League Indoor Championships meet. The men’s team placed fourth out of nine and collected 60.5 points, three silver medals and one new school record. The women’s team placed fourth out of ten and collected 105.5 points, many different medals, three new school records and eight new top-ten marks.

On the men’s side, Ethan Wolford-Tuffy ’24 finished second in the 400-meter dash with a time of 47.18. His time shattered the previous Bison record of 47.46. Additionally, Wolford-Tuffy earned sixth in the 200-meter dash.

Other sprinters who scored points were Cooper Hyken ’26 and Brandon Foust ’25 in the 60-meter dash. Furthermore, Brian Scotto ’25 placed fifth in the 60-meter hurdles and his time of 8.12 tied him fourth in Bison history. 

The “A” Team 4×400-meter relay of Amani Ndegwa-Brown ’27, Preston Lubeski ’27, Colby Belczyk ’25 and Woldford-Tuffy finished second. The quartet’s time of 3:13.91 ranks third in Bison history.

In the distance events, Jack Higgins ’27 earned a point in the mile run, while Ben Santos ’25 tallied one in the 3000-meter run.

Regarding the jump events, the Bison were very successful as well. Tristan An ’25 won silver in the high jump and earned himself a spot in seventh in the Orange and Blue record books, while Jeffrey Cianfrocca ’26 finished in sixth. In the triple jump, Chris Sims ’25 placed fifth.

For the throwers, two Bison were in the top eight for shot put. Wade Shomper’s ’26 toss earned him fourth place in the meet and fifth in Bucknell history, while Robert Lerner ’26 placed eighth.

Overall, Men’s Indoor Track and Field had five competitors earn a Second-Team All-Patriot League Award: An (High Jump), Belczyk (4x400m), Ndegwa-Brown (4x400m), Lubeski (4x400m) and Wolford Tuffy (400m, 4x400m).

Next weekend, the qualifying Bucknell members will head back to Boston to compete in the IC4A Championships. 

On the women’s side, Meghan Quinn ’24 was a stand-out runner. She collected 24 points by herself. Quinn won gold in the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.73, which set a new meet record and improved her Bucknell best ranking. Furthermore, Quinn earned silver in the 60-meter dash and broke the Bucknell record set in 2019. That time marked Quinn’s ninth school record.

To finish her record-breaking day, Quinn and her 4×400-meter relay placed third. The “A” Team of Colleen Linko ’24, Katherine Loew ’25, Anna Posh ’25 and Quinn unlocked six points for the Bison.

Another successful relay team for Bucknell was the distance medley “A” team of Mari Engleby ’24, Alison Cooke ’26, Hailey Tabar ’24 and Sarah Policano ’25. They finished third and earned the ninth rank in Bucknell history. 

In the long distance events, Caryn Rippey ’26 finished seventh in the mile, while Abby Paczewski ’24 placed eighth. Additionally, Kailey Granger ’27 ranked fourth in the 3000-meter and Paczewski finished eighth. Granger’s time of 9:45.62 nets her fourth in the Bucknell record books.

The Orange and Blue jumpers dominated the field events. Karen Hull ’24 reset the school record in the high jump, as well as earning a gold medal at the meet. Hull also earned fifth in the 60-meter hurdles. Other successful Bison in the high jump were Olivia Boyce ’24 and Abby Kates ’24 who shared second place. Boyce’s mark of 5-6 placed her ninth in Bucknell history. In the triple jump, Megan Baggetta ’27 notched third and ranks seventh in the Bucknell books. 

In the shot put, Justley Sharp ’27 made an impression at her first Indoor Championship finishing fourth and collecting five points.

Quinn (200m) and Hull (High Jump) earned Women’s Indoor Track and Field First-Team All-Patriot League Awards. 

Boyce (High Jump), Lila Gaughan ’24 (Long Jump) and Quinn (60m) earned Women’s Indoor Track and Field Second-Team All-Patriot League Awards. 

Next weekend, the qualifying Bison will travel back to Boston to compete in the ECAC Championships.