W. tennis splits weekend

Lauren Boone

The women’s tennis team travelled to Olean, N.Y. to face Niagara and St. Bonaventure this past weekend. After dropping the match against Niagara 4-3, the Orange and Blue pulled out a 5-2 win over St. Bonaventure, snapping a three-match losing streak.

Against St. Bonaventure, the Bison won the doubles point with ease. On the number one doubles court, Maria Cioffi ’16 and Elena Vidrascu ’14 dropped only one game to the Bonnies, winning 8-1. Lydia Colvin ’15 and Stephanie Pino ’16, on the second doubles court, won  8-4. St. Bonaventure defaulted the third doubles court.

The Orange and Blue were successful in their singles matches as well. St. Bonaventure defaulted another match, giving the Bison another victory in the sixth singles position.

At the number three singles position, Colvin won her match with a score of 6-3, 6-2. Jen Bush ’15 was also successful, winning her match 6-1, 6-1. On court five, Pino claimed the final point for the Bison without dropping a single game (6-0, 6-0).

“Overall, the team came out with great energy and focus. We secured the doubles point, winning both first and second doubles with relative ease. As far as singles goes, it was easy to see that we all really wanted to win, supporting one another immensely in the process,” Colvin said.

Against Niagara, Cioffi and Vidrascu gave the Bison a good start in the first doubles match with an 8-5 decision, while Bush and Christie Schneider ’15 also won their doubles match 8-3. Vidrascu and Pino also contributed individual victories, but the Bison were unable to overcome a late Niagara comeback in the loss.

The Orange and Blue will be back on the courts tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Quakertown, Pa. against Hofstra.