Women’s Tennis faces a two-loss weekend

Over the weekend, Bucknell Women’s Tennis played two matches: one against Duquesne and one against Navy. Unfortunately, the Bison lost to both schools.

On Saturday, March 23, the Bison hosted Duquesne in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was a very close match, however, Duquesne walked away with a 4-3 win. 

Bucknell won the doubles point and took two points in singles. Duquesne scored four in a row at the top four single spots.

In doubles play, after Duquesne won 6-1 to start the match, Bucknell won back-to-back with duo Whitney King ’25 and Abby Platt ’26, earning their 20th win of the season going 6-2, and Anna Lajos ’25 and Mirra Manolov ’26 winning their doubles match 6-3. 

Regarding the singles, only two Bison players were successful. Manolov achieved her eight win of the season, defeating her opponent 6-4, 1-6, 10-6, while Tori Allen ’27 improved to 12-6 on the season with a 6-3, 7-5 victory.

On Sunday, March 24, the Bison traveled to Annapolis, Maryland to face off against Navy. Bucknell suffered a road loss 6-1. 

King and Platt fell 6-4 in doubles play, suffering their fourth loss this year. Additionally, it was King and Platt’s first loss to a Patriot League pair in the last two years. 

Navy also won 6-2 at second doubles and 6-0 at third doubles. 

The single matches were tough for Bucknell. Fortunately, Tyne Miller ’24 came back at fourth singles from her first set deficit (2-6) to win two straight sets (6-3, 10-6) and clinch the Bison’s only point of the match. 

Although no other points were earned for the Bison, Lajos fought hard on court two, ultimately falling to her opponent 6-4, 6-2. 

After both matches this week, Bucknell’s record now stands at 8-9. 

Next Saturday, March 30, the Bison return home to host Colgate at 11 a.m. After, on Sunday, March 31, Bucknell will travel to Easton, Pennsylvania to play Lafayette.