Men’s golf face challenges at Cornell

Jen Lee

Despite rainy conditions in Ithaca, N.Y. this past weekend, Thomas Walter ’14 led the men’s golf team to an impressive 296 team score in the second round of the Cornell Invitational.

No team was able to break 300 in the first round. Walter fought through the tough conditions to post a four-over 75, leading the Bison to a 308 team score in the first round.

The men completed 12 holes in the second round before the remaining holes were postponed due to heavy rain. When they finished the last six holes, the Bison had an overall 296 team score, making the men second-best right behind Towson’s 292.

“I thought the team battled back well in the second round to get back into contention. To finish under 300 in those conditions was a good round. Coach always preaches to have everyone under 75 and we accomplished that,” Walter said.

Walter sat comfortably close to the lead after posting an even-par 71 in the second round.

Despite this flash of brilliance from the men, the herd could not carry this momentum into the final round. The Orange and Blue posted a 313 team score in the round (917 overall) to finish eighth in the standings.

Walter said the final round was “tough” and “very disappointing from both an individual aspect and a team aspect.” Walter could not capitalize on his 75-71 start, posting an 81 in the final round. Despite his final round, Walter still finished in a tie for 19th place.

Peter Scialabba ’15 was able to lead the Bison in the final round, carding a four-over par 75. Scialabba tied for 24th with fellow Bison John Edler ’17. D.J. Magee ’17 completed his first road start with all three rounds in the seventies.

“We were semi-pleased with our performance last weekend. We posted a great second round score, which put us only eight back of the leaders, but could not capitalize in the third round. We remain confident, because all of five players were able to contribute, and our team’s depth continues to be proven,” Scialabba said.

The Bison hope to showcase this depth Oct. 6-7 at the Army Invitational, site of the 2014 Patriot League Championship in April.