Women’s Swim and Dive split weekend 1-1

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Bison Swim and Dive hit the road for a few matchups in Boston. They first faced Holy Cross in their season opening meet. The Bison crushed Holy Cross for the seventh consecutive time (201-99), claiming almost every event (14/16).

Veteran Rylie Giles ’25 started off her third season strong by coming out on top in the 100 freestyle (53.74) and the 200 butterfly (2:11.08). Kyla Kelly ’26 also had an impressive first meet as she came in first in the 100 backstroke and was a contributing part to the Bison’s winning 200 medley relay team.

Kelly Byrne ’27 posted her first collegiate meet win in the 100 freestyle (10:44.57), as did Sydney Dettmann ’27 in the 100 butterfly. 

As for diving, the Bison brought in a first and second place finish in four events. Bison also palced first (Meghan Catherwood ’25), second (Natlie Penman ’27) and third (Kate Gottwald ’24) in the 1-meter board. Reggie Frias ’25 placed first in the 3-meter dive.

The next day the Bison had a tough matchup against Boston University. Despite their best efforts and a number of event wins, the Bison lost 157-143. 

Once again Giles posted a win in the 200 freestyle, marking her third first place finish just last weekend. Dettmann won the 500 freestyle, her second first place finish this weekend, marking an impressive start to her collegiate career. 

Kate Handley ’27, Hanna Bingley ’26 and Kelly also added wins to Saturday’s competition. Handley came in first in the 100 breaststroke, followed by Liz Dokina ’25, the second-place finisher and then Bingley, the third place finisher. 

The Bison will be competing next at home as they host the Fall Invite this weekend.