Football comes up victorious on Halloween weekend

Lauren Medeiros, Co-Photography Editor / The Bucknellian

Bison Football went head to head with Colgate in a record-breaking game on the road. They pulled away with a 49-34 win, marking the most points scored in a game in 20 years. The Bison also went for 593 yards, the second most achieved in program history. Saturday’s game was the Bison’s first Patriot League win of the season.

Ralph Rucker ’26 was the leading force behind the Bison offense. The Quarterback went 33 for 44 passing, finishing with 387 passing yards and four touchdowns. Rucker’s completions marked the most by a Bison since 2001. Rucker was supported by stellar performances from his wide receivers Eric Weatherly ’26 and Josh Gary ’26. Both finished with over 100 receiving yards, the first time any Bison has passed 100 yards since 2021.

Coleman Bennett ’24 and Rushawn Baker ’25 ran for three touchdowns, each averaging five yards. Baker ended the game with 17 carries, a touchdown and 107 net yards. Bennett was close behind with two touchdowns, 17 carries and 91 yards. 

On the defensive end, the Bison dominated as well, holding the Raiders scoreless for the entirety of the second quarter. Colgate was limited to 38 yards by the Bison’s defensive efforts. Cade Rooney ’25 grabbed an interception off a tipped pass by Jack Goheen ’26. In the fourth quarter, Ethan Robinson ’25 also pulled off an interception. John Schlendorf ’25 grabbed a Colgate fumble and gained 25 yards for the Bison. 

The second quarter saw the most action for the Bison offense. In that quarter alone, they had 258 yards and 27 of their 49 points. They saw four touchdowns on consecutive drives and posted a 34-13 lead going into the half.

Colgate saw their first touchdowns in their first three drives of the game. The Bison’s first points also came on their first three drives, a 20-yard completion caught by Charlie Kreinbucher ’26. Colagte’s final points came on their second drive. A 68-yard rush by a Raider running back secured the touchdown.

A majority of the Orange and Blue’s yardage came from passing in the third quarter. Rucker went five for eight on passing attempts that totaled 85 yards and one touchdown. Similarly, in the fourth, Rucker found Weatherly for another Bison touchdown. 

Rucker’s performance on Saturday set numerous school records and earned him the Bison of the Week accolade. 

The Bison will be back playing this weekend as they head to Fordham University for another Saturday afternoon matchup.