Men’s Swim and Dive improves record to 4-1

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

This past Saturday, Nov. 4, Bison Men’s Swimming and Diving finished with a 2-1 record at the Navy Quad Meet, bringing their season record to 4-1. Although the Orange and Blue lost to Navy (151-131), they defeated both American (216-74) and Lafayette (217-81).

The Bison took first place six times, three of which John Gehrig ’24 helped secure. Gehrig placed first in the 200 Butterfly (1:49.34), the 100 Butterfly (49.67) and the 200 Freestyle Relay, along with Colin Smith ’27, Drew Greene ’27 and Finn Russell ’27. 

Gehrig emphasized the importance placed on speed and giving every race their all, despite how good Navy is. 

“I would say my mindset going into the meet was just trying to race hard and give each race my best effort. We have been training really hard this season and might not be in the best racing shape of the season but making sure that you give every race your best effort is all you can do,” Gehrig said. “Navy has been dominating the Patriot League for years so we knew that they would be really tough competition, so we wanted to race them as best we could and really just race as fast as possible.” 

The other three first place Bison scorers included Braden Beagle ’26 in the 200 Backstroke (1:54.41), Chris Kopac ’25 in the 500 Freestyle (4:42.04) and Andy Dorsel ’25 in the 400 IM (4:07.98). 

In addition to placing first in the 100 Butterfly, the Bison also secured second place with Chris Fabian ’24 scoring a (50.51). In total three Bison earned second place finishes, Fabian, Will Hedges ’25 in the 200 Breaststroke (2:09.75) and Alex Crossing ’26 came in the 500 Freestyle (4:42.18). Crossing also came in third in the 1000 Freestyle (9:40.42). 

The team races against Loyola next Saturday, Nov. 11. 

“I think we can see that the team is getting stronger and faster each week. We are in a good spot but need to continue to get better each day. We have some really big and important meets in the next few weeks and finishing up the season strong with some duel meet wins and fast times is what the team is focused on,” Gehrig said.