Football comes up short 27-21 against Fordham

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

On Saturday, Nov. 4, Bison Football traveled to the Bronx, N.Y. to compete against Fordham. This was a thrilling game, unfortunately, it slipped through the Bison’s fingers 27-21. 

At the beginning of the game, the Orange and Blue had an initial lead of 3-0 but got down by 14 in the third quarter. 

Fordham had an early 10-0 run with six minutes left in the first half, however, the Bison responded when Ralph Rucker ’26 found a wide-open Derrick Anderson Jr. ’26 for a 20-yard touchdown to tie it 10-10. 

At the conclusion of the second quarter, Fordham scored again heading into the locker rooms with a 17-10 lead. 

Early in the fourth quarter, down 24-13, Charlie Kreinbucher ’26 blocked a Fordham punt to earn the Bison the ball at Fordham’s 16-yard line. One play later, Rucker found Damian Harris ’24 in the end zone. The duo of Rucker and Harris connected again on a two-point conversion to lower the deficit to three.

Overall, the Bison concluded the game with 454 yards of offense and led in possession time. Additionally, they went eight of 16 on third-down attempts and were successful on their only fourth-down try. 

On offense, the Orange and Blue only averaged 2.6 yards per carry. However, Rucker, Coleman Bennett ’24 and Rushawn Baker ’25 each carried multiple long runs. For Rucker, many of his runs in the first half earned first downs. Bennett earned 58 yards on 14 carries, including his longest run of 23 yards. Furthermore, Bennett was big in the screen game, hauling in four catches for 40 yards. 

Additionally, on the receiving end for the Bison, Anderson ended the game with five receptions for 82 yards, while Harris caught seven balls for 79 and Baker grabbed four for 52. 

Regarding special teams, Matt Schearer ’26 was successful on two field goal attempts close to 30 yards. 

On the defensive end, Tyler Alston ’24 made nine stops, Mike Bright Jr. ’24 posted six with a tackle for loss and Brad Gerken ’27 recovered the Fordham fumble. 

This weekend, Nov. 11, the Bison will return to the Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium for their final home game of the season and Senior Day. This competition is against in-league opponent Georgetown.