Women’s Basketball falls despite tough fight

Charlotte Olin / The Bucknellian

This past week, Women’s Basketball took two hard losses to Navy and Army, despite putting up strong fights. 

On Jan. 24, the team traveled to Annapolis, MD to take on Navy, who they closely trailed throughout the game. The Orange and Blue seemed to be in a bit of a shooting drought at first, finishing the first quarter with only 4 points in comparison to Navy’s 12. 

3 of those 4 points came from Ashley Sofilkanich ’27, who scored 21 points the whole game, 5 of which were from the free throw line. 

Heading into halftime the score was 21-17, and in the third quarter the Orange and Blue were able to eventually catch up with a shot from Sofilkanich, two free throws from Emma Theodorsson ’26 and a shot from Isabella King ’25. King had an impressive overall game going 4 -7 from the field, tallying 11 points. 

Bucknell was still unable to get into a good shooting rhythm, tying the game once in the third quarter, 32-32.

That being said, not long after the Bison’s momentum, the Midshipmen went on a 9-3 run to end the third quarter. 

Although the Bison were within six points of Navy at one point during the fourth quarter, they were unable to catch up, losing 59-48. 

Both King and Sofilkanich continued to perform on Saturday against Army at home. King had 14 points, five rebounds and four assists and Sofilkanich tallied 20 points, seven rebounds and blocked an incredible eight shots. 

Similar to the Navy game, the Bison went down 9-2 early on. However, the Bison shot over 50% for the quarter and eventually narrowed the deficit, finishing the first quarter down 2, 21-19. The second quarter consisted of a frequent back and forth, with the Orange and Blue leading 31-27 at one point. Heading into half, the score was 41-37 West Point.

The Orange and Blue took the lead again in the third quarter after going on a 9-0 run with 5 points from Ashley O’Connor ’26, a three from King, and a free throw from Sofilkanich. However, Army ended the quarter 52-48. 

Despite being within two points at one point during the fourth quarter, Army pulled ahead to end the game 75-66. 

Women’s Basketball suits up next at home against American at 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 4.