Women’s Basketball suffers heartbreaker on senior night

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Women’s Basketball took on Colgate at home on Saturday night trying to extend their four-game win streak to five. It was also senior night, where Julie Kulesza ’24, Nicole Davis ’24, Caroline Dingler ’24 and Kaylee Reinbeau ’24 were recognized.

It was a slow first quarter scoring for the Bison, trailing 12-8 after the first frame. Colgate did a fantastic job defending the paint and taking Ashley Sofilkanich ’27, who has scored at least 20 points in four of her last six games, out of the play.

The Bison struggled to find scoring early on by anyone not named Emma Theodorsson ’26. Theodorsson had 12 of Bucknell’s 18 points after the first half came to a close.

The Orange and Blue also had a tough time containing the Raiders’ elite ball movement early on. Even with the Bison’s strong half-court defense, Colgate did a great job manipulating it and finding lanes.

Despite averaging only three per game this season, Colgate was able to hit three shots from beyond the arc putting the Bison down 26-18 at the half.

The Bison were able to fight back in the second half behind a 9-point third quarter from Grace Sullivan ’26. The Bison desperately needed a spark offensively, which Sullivan provided to bring the Orange and Blue right back into the game. Sullivan would finish with 13 points on 6-8 shooting.

Sofilkanich started to get going in the second half offensively. After finishing the first half with 2 points on 1-6 shooting, she would roll through the second half, going for 15 points on 6-8 from the field.

The Bison also finally got to the free throw line in the second half, which is where they thrive. Over the Bison’s four-game win streak, they’ve averaged 17 attempts from the free throw line a game, hitting them at a 70% clip. The team only took 3 foul shot attempts in the first half but went 5-8 in the second.

Colgate relied on their outside shots, as the Bison dominated the paint points 38-12. Colgate’s 8 three-point makes kept them in it late.

After Colgate tied the game 55-55 with twelve seconds to go, the Orange and Blue had a chance to win it. But, a costly turnover on the out-of-bounds play gave the ball back to the Raiders with a chance to win it.

The first play the Raiders won was a back cut to its big, and the play was designed and executed greatly. It would’ve worked if not for a last-second tip from Blake Matthews ’26 that sent it out of bounds with one second to play.

The Bison had gaps defensively on the final play and Colgate found a shooter in the corner on the out of bounds play. After a quick turnaround and a late Bison close out, Colgate hit the three-point shot and got fouled. The crowd went silent, and the Bison would lose on an absolute heartbreaker.

Overall, the Bison continued their elite defensive play. They don’t turn teams over all that much, but their half-court defense is so sound and connected that they make it difficult for anyone to score. They just need to find that third consistent scorer, a player behind Theodorsson and Sofilkanich.

The Bison travel to West Point, New York on Saturday, Feb. 24 to face Army.