Wrestling concludes season at NCAA Championships

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Five Bison wrestlers qualified for the 2024 NCAA Wrestling Championships held at the T-Mobile Center in Kansas City, Missouri. It was a very successful weekend for most of the athletes that were there, and a fun one nonetheless.

Kurt Phipps ’25, Noah Mulvaney ’27, Myles Takats ’27, Dylan Chappell ’26 and Dorian Crosby ’24 were the Bison represented in Kansas City. This marks the most athletes Bucknell has sent to the national championships since 2016, and the first time Bucknell has sent two true freshmen there since 2015.

On day one, Crosby, Phipps and Mulvaney won their first round matches, while Chappell won his first match in the consolations to also advance to day two. Takats won his match in the consolation prelims, but lost his consolation match, ending his season.

Mulvaney and Crosby both upset their higher-seeded opponents in the first round, while the 13th seeded Phipps came back to beat his 20th seeded opponent. This marks the second time in program history that three different wrestlers won their first round matchups. 

“The atmosphere at NCAAs was amazing. When you are growing up and watching it you idolize the wrestlers and hope to get there one day,” Takats said. “Then when you are there, it gets you even more excited to go out there and wrestle hard. People cheering was so cool and knowing your friends, family and teammates are watching you on the big stage is great.”

Phipps started the day off with a 5-3 decision in his win, after trailing 3-1 after the opening period. It was a grueling match from there and Phipps earned himself the winning takedown with 23 seconds left in the match.

On day two, all four remaining Bison found their seasons ending.

After Phipps remained in the final 12 133 lb. wrestlers, he cruised to a victory in the consolations on Friday. He then took on the 7th seed, where he fell in a tight overtime match.

Crosby found himself tied 1-1 against the 7th seed in his consolation match. He was then taken down with 1:17 left on the clock, with his season ending too in a tight battle.

Chappell and Mulvaney were both defeated in their second round consolation matches, and this concluded the wrestling season for the Orange and Blue.

In the end, Phipps ended the championships with a 3-2 record, where Chappell, Mulvaney and Takats all went 1-2.

Of these qualifiers, all but Crosby will return for the Bison next season.