Field hockey suffers tough loss

Andrew Arnao

The field hockey team played a close game at Patriot League rival American on Oct. 27, but could not come out with the win, eventually falling 2-1. Forward Kiersten Sydnor ’16 scored the lone goal for the Bison, giving her a fourth Patriot League Rookie of the Week honor.

“This weekend we had a tough loss to American,” Sydnor said. “We didn’t come out on the field ready to win and weren’t able to capitalize on our opportunities inside our attacking 25. We had spurts of aggressiveness but it wasn’t enough to beat American.”

The Bison fell behind early as American scored 13 minutes into the game. The 1-0 deficit held for the rest of the half, but about 11 minutes after play resumed, Sydnor managed to find the back of the net with an assist from midfielder Kelly Stefanowicz ’13 to knot the score at 1-1. American responded quickly, scoring once again a couple minutes later to put themselves up 2-1. Despite outshooting American for the rest of the half, the Bison were unable to equalize the score.

“Although we lost to American, our team made vast improvements in certain areas when comparing our game this year to the games against them last season,” midfielder Vickie Resh ’14 said. “We need to improve on certain things for next weekend that we have identified and are excited to work on this week.”

The Bison and American offenses proved to be very evenly matched, with each side taking a total of nine shots and the Bison leading penalty corners by a four to three total. Though the Bison offense started out slow in the first half, they responded with a typically strong second half to keep the game close.

“This week we will focus on fixing our mistakes so that we can come out ready to win this weekend,” Sydnor said. “After losing on Saturday, I think we will be very determined and motivated to give it our all during the Patriot League Tournament.”

The loss brought an end to regular season, giving the Orange and the Blue a 9-9 record overall and a 3-2 record in the Patriot League. The Bison are now the No. 3 seed for the upcoming Patriot League Tournament, and will play American, the No. 2 seed after their victory, in a semifinals rematch today in Easton, Pa.

“This past week’s game has also shown us that even though we didn’t, we can win and having that loss will hopefully energize us for Friday’s rematch,” Resh said.