Women's lax secures win with offensive outburst

Ajan Caneda

Copy Editor

The women’s lacrosse team split its two contests in Washington D.C. this past week, falling to American 11-6 on March 30 before responding with an impressive 22-9 victory against Howard on April 3.

The Eagles engineered an early 3-1 run to begin the first half, but the Bison responded with four straight goals from Katelyn Miller ’14, Ryan Wenk ’13, Sophie Kleinert ’14 and Sam Rickels ’16. American brought the halftime score to 5-5, posting two more tallies to end the first half.

In the second half, American’s defense locked down the Orange and Blue, as the Eagles rallied behind a six-goal run before Miller would complete her hat trick in the closing seconds of the game.

Madison Hurwitz ’13 recorded the lone assist for the Bison, while Rickels and Adrienne Wendling ’13 registered three draw controls each. Goalie Caroline O’Neill ’15 had four saves. Despite the loss, the Orange and Blue had the advantage in shot attempts (21-18) and draw controls (12-7).

Against Howard, the Orange and Blue scored 11 goals in each half, as they cruised to their second victory of the year. After Howard posted the initial goal, the Orange and Blue answered with six unanswered tallies. The offensive streaks continued in the second half, as the Orange and Blue went on a 6-0 blitz to start the half and concluded with a 5-0 run to come away with the comfortable win.

Hurwitz posted a career-high nine points, scoring five goals and dishing out four assists. Cori Thielemann ’15 added four goals of her own. Miller and Wenk each finished with hat tricks, as Miller added three assists and eight draw controls to her scoring total. The Orange and Blue also had a 39-20 shot advantage and a 19-14 edge in draw controls.

The Bison have two home matches coming up, as they will face Lafayette Saturday at 1 p.m., followed by a matchup against St. Bonaventure on April 9 at 7 p.m.