Webster, Joseph set new records

Eric Brod

Competing on their home track, the Bison men’s and women’s track and field teams had strong performances at the Bison Outdoor Classic last weekend at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium. Both teams had several athletes place in the top 10.

On the men’s side, Luke Webster ’13 led the charge on April 13 in the field events. Webster broke his own program record in the discus with a throw of 172-1. In total, the Orange and Blue had four throwers place in the top 10 in the discus.

“One of the biggest factors in how everyone threw this week was the weather,” Webster said. “The warmer weather finally allowed for some good, consistent outdoor training which is pretty essential to a strictly outdoor event like discus.”

In the hammer throw, Leonard Joseph ’13 also set a program record, finishing first with a throw of 209-11 feet and was the only competitor to break the 200-foot mark in the event. Webster also finished fourth in the shot put with a throw of 52-4 3/4.

On the track, John Dugan ’15 finished fifth in the steeplechase in 9:13.34. Ray Holmes ’14 continued his strong outdoor season, finishing first in the triple jump with a distance of 48-11 3/4. Also on the track, Justin Hicks ’13 won the 100 m race in 10.74 seconds and finished fourth in the 200 m race in 21.42 seconds. Christian Lupica ’15 took second in the 200 m in 21.26 seconds. In the mid-distance events, Alex Jagelsky ’15 finished second in the 800 m race in 1:52.16.

On the women’s side, both the track and field athletes had strong performances. Erin Norris ’15 finished eighth in the javelin with a throw of 131-11 feet. Also shining in the field events was Abby Monaghan ’13, who finished fourth in the discus with a throw of 150-1.

Continuing on the strong performance, Emily Ando ’14 kept the Orange and Blue rolling, finishing in a tie for third in the pole vault, clearing a height of 11-8 1/2. On the track, Sasha Hornock ’13 finished sixth in the 100 m race in 12.49 seconds. In the 400 m race, Jennifer Zymet ’14 finished sixth in 56.56 seconds.

“Because of the stagger, it is initially difficult to determine how in reach you are of your competition,” Zymet said. “So your first 200 needs to be quick, because it’s too difficult to make up ground on your competitors if you start out behind.”

The teams will return to action Saturday when they host the Bucknell Team Challenge at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium, starting at 9:30 a.m.

“As for our upcoming meet, there is going to be some good teams, such as Penn State, so we are looking to compete well,” Zymet said. “Coach [Kevin] Donner always says that when we compete well with good teams, our times and marks will show it.”