Women's basketball loses in first round of tournament

Ajan Caneda

A second-half shooting surge led Lehigh to a 63-47 win over the women’s basketball team on March 1, eliminating the Bison from the Patriot League Tournament. Shelby Romine ’14 was the leading scorer with 16 points.

Neither team gained a comfortable lead in the first 10 minutes of the game, as stingy defense by the Bison kept the game close. Lindsay Horbatuck ’13 started with two steals that led to four early points, while Christina Chukwuedo ’12 had a steal followed by a Romine three-pointer that gave the Orange and Blue an early lead. Despite the strong defense, the Bison couldn’t get going offensively as they went scoreless for the final 7:13 of the half. This shooting drought allowed Lehigh to build a 26-18 lead going into the second half.

“I think the toughest obstacle we faced in this game was having to match-up with a veteran team with four seniors that included two of the top post players in the league,” interim head coach Bill Broderick said. “We were able to catch them off guard in the previous game and really surprise them with some different things that they had not seen from us yet. Also, we were able to stay out of foul trouble in that game which really hurt us last Thursday when we had our two leading scorers on the bench for most of the first half.”

The Mountain Hawks scored the first basket of the second half to take the first double-digit lead of the game. The Bison fought back behind a 8-0 run that cut the lead to 12 with 11:32 left, but a Lehigh three-pointer stopped the momentum. The Mountain Hawks outscored the Orange and Blue 42-22 in points and shot 56.7 percent in the second half. 

Forwards Felicia Mgbada ’13 and Rachel Voss ’13 were the next leading scorers, combining for 15 points, while Horbatuck had six points and seven rebounds.

“We knew after beating them on their home court, just two weeks ago, that they were going to be ready this time and have some extra motivation,” Broderick said. “They made a change at the point guard position, which I think really made a difference and helped them to handle our defensive pressure better.”

The Orange and Blue finished the regular season with a 5-25 record overall, going 3-11 in conference play with wins over Lehigh, Colgate and Lafayette.