Men’s Soccer ends weekend with loss and tie

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

The Bison Men’s Soccer team hosted Patriot League competitor Loyola in a midweek matchup. Matthew Owusu ’24 scored his first career goal during the match. However, this was not enough to defeat the Greyhounds. 

Loyola found the back of the net early on in the game. The Bison were looking good in the beginning, as Freddie Lapworth ’26 had an impressive save five minutes into the game, but the Greyhounds were able to poke the ball in off a corner moments after the save. 

Loyola added another goal during the 19th minute. A Greyhound sent a long ball towards the goal, and despite Lapworth’s efforts, Loyola managed to score. 

Jack Roberto ’25 came up with a huge save in the final minutes of the first half. He managed to clear a header out inches from the goal line. Jakub Amelko ’27 made attempts to capitalize off the defensive efforts. He found Mason Lillis ’27 in the box who was then fouled. Owusu stepped up for the penalty kick and managed to score.

The second half was fought more evenly. The Bison put pressure on the Greyhounds, trying to tie up the game. In the 75th minute, Loyola sent a long ball from their end into the Bison’s. They were forced to play back to Lapworth but this was picked off, and the Greyhounds stretched their lead to 3-1. 

Despite best efforts, the Orange and Blue were unable to find the back of the net again, and the game finished with a 3-1 score. Loyola outshot the Bison 14-8 and had six corner kicks. Lapworth ended with four saves. Rex Alphen ’27 subbed into goal for the final nine minutes of the game.

Later in the week, Men’s Soccer hosted American University for their second home game of the week. In a high scoring match, the Bison ended in a 3-3 tie. Jake Nicoll ’25 started in goal for the Bison, his first start since the season opener against Mount St. Mary. He played a critical part in keeping the Bison in the game. 

The Bison put up the first goal of the game about 15 minutes in. Charlie Holmes ’26 beat an American defender to the end line and was taken down. The Bison were awarded a penalty, which Holmes took himself and scored on. This marks Holmes’ third goal of the season. 14 seconds later, the American player managed to score off of only a few passes. 

Nicoll stood strong in goal, managing to keep the game at a 1-1 tie before the Bison regained the lead. Jackson Sullivan ’26 sent in a throw-in which was headed by Ben Sheffield ’26 into the 6-yard box. Brennan Gac ’24 then headed the ball into the goal for the Bison’s second goal of the game and his first goal of his career.

American put the pressure on the Bison for most of the second half. They managed to put up two more goals to regain the lead. The game nearly ended 3-2 before the Bison scored the final goal of the game in the 84th minute off of a corner kick. Zane Domsohn ’26 managed to get his head on the ball and score for the Bison. American finished with 17 shots compared to the Bison’s 10. Nicoll finished with six saves.

The Bison will be on the road for their next game against Colgate this Saturday.