Men's soccer defeated at season opener

Ajan Caneda

Copy Editor

All-Patriot League player Chris Thorsheim ’16 posted two first-half goals for the men’s soccer team in its season opener on Aug. 30, but Canisius pulled off a stunning comeback and came away with a 3-2 overtime victory at Emmitt Field.

Thorsheim scored his first goal in the 24th minute, as Austin Lenart ’17 won the ball in the middle of the field and delivered his first collegiate assist to Thorsheim, resulting in a highlight reel 30-yard goal that landed in the upper left corner of the net. The Orange and Blue pulled ahead further after Thorsheim stole the ball away and scored off the breakaway. Canisius shifted the momentum in its favor with a 30-yard goal of its own in the 40th minute.

“I thought how the goals were scored were far different from how the game was played, but that is soccer. Canisius controlled the early parts of the game and then we scored two quick goals from Chris Thorsheim. After the goals we started to play better and control things more. However, just before the half, Canisius took control of a team defensive lapse and scored to make it 2-1 at half instead of 2-0,” head coach Brendan Nash said.

In the second half, the Bison had a 13-5 shot advantage but were unable to convert on their attempts. Another goal by the Golden Griffins in the 63rd minute brought the game to a 2-2 standstill. The Orange and Blue had several chances at the go-ahead goal, including attempts from Justin Galiani ’17 and Jesse Klug ’16, but the Canisius defense protected the tie heading into overtime.

“The problem in the beginning of the second half was our lack of energy. We came out unorganized and it came back to bite us. After they scored their second goal we woke up and created quite a few quality chances. Unfortunately we were not able to capitalize on them,” Thorsheim said.

Canisius completed the comeback in the sixth minute of overtime, nailing a difficult goal in the far post to steal the win.

Goalie Mike Lansing ’16 finished the game with three saves. The Orange and Blue held a 22-15 shot advantage, but it was Canisius’ lone shot in overtime that clinched the match.

“I think that our ability to create chances was one of the major positives we can take from this game. I think our outside backs were great offensively and defensively during this game as well. Our ability to get wide and start the attack with them looks promising,” Thorsheim said.

The Bison continue their homestand this weekend, as they face Buffalo tonight at 7 p.m.  followed by a match against La Salle on Sept. 8 at 2 p.m.

“The biggest positive was the size and energy of our home crowd. Holmes Stadium can be a great place for our students and community to show their school spirit. Friday night it was a great atmosphere. We hope that trend will continue for our next three home games next week,” Nash said.

(Visited 45 times, 1 visits today)