Men’s tennis wins titles in singles and doubles at Bucknell Quad

Chris McCree

The men’s tennis team opened its fall season by winning titles in Flight A singles and doubles as well as in Flight C singles on its home courts at the Bucknell Quad. Nick Bybel ’16 claimed a singles title for the second straight year and followed it up by claiming the doubles title with Aidan Lynch ’14. The only other Bison to play in a championship match was Scott Bernstein ’14, who came away with the win in Flight C singles.

“The first weekend is generally a time to work out the early year kinks and to get back into the swing of competitive play,” captain Kyle Rosen ’14 said. “I am proud to say that I saw a lot of tough matches, constant high energy, and solid performance all around. I have no doubt that our level will continue to elevate as the fall season continues.”

During the first day of competition, the Orange and Blue advanced seven players to the singles quarterfinals. Bybel took down his first round opponent with relative ease, winning 6-0, 6-1. Rosen also earned a victory, coming back after dropping the first set 1-6.

In Flight A, the Bison had four of eight players in the quarterfinals. Bybel faced off against fellow Patriot League rival Luke Gensburg of Colgate, overcoming a late push to take the three-set victory (6-3, 2-6, 10-8) and repeat as champion.

In doubles, the Bison had three teams reach the semifinal round. Bybel and Lynch proved to be the strongest of the three, taking down the team from Colgate (8-3).

This weekend, the Bison will play in the Mount St. Mary’s Invitational. Despite a strong showing at home, the Bison will look to continue improving in preparation for its Patriot League season in the spring.

“My expectation for this season is a Patriot League Championship,” Rosen said. “That requires effort taken at all times on and off the court. That goal must be taken seriously by every player. Then, and only then, will it be possible. I have the utmost confidence in our ability to be the best team out there.”