Klug leads men’s soccer to fifth consecutive victory

Ajan Caneda

Copy Editor 

Jesse Klug’s ’16 two goals boosted the men’s soccer team to its fifth consecutive victory, a 2-0 road win over Seton Hall on Sept. 21. For his efforts, Klug won his second straight Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week Award as well as Bison Athlete of the Week. Goalie Mike Lansing ’16, who had 11 saves in this game, earned Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Week Honors and became the first Bison goalkeeper since 1983 to have four straight shutouts. The Orange and Blue improved their record to 5-2.

Klug did not waste any time making his mark on the game. His first goal connected at the 5:40 mark when Chris Thorsheim ’16 returned a toss ball to Connor Willings ’16, who launched the ball into the box where Klug used his chest to drive the ball past the approaching goalkeeper. Lansing protected the shutout after making a spectacular save off of a Seton Hall header.

“We are a hard working team that never quits no matter how tired we are,” Austin Lenart ’17 said. “I believe it was our hard work and communication that allowed us to be so successful defensively.”

The insurance goal in the second half happened in the 83rd minute after a series of moves from Thorsheim led to a shot from Lenart. After his attempt went off the post, Klug blasted the rebound into the net.

“The second half goal came when Chris Thorsheim played a through ball into the box that I was able to get onto,” Lenart said. “I then tried to put the ball past the goalie and it deflected off of the post and into the middle of the box. Jesse Klug then one-timed the ball into the back of the net for a goal.”

Seton Hall held a 23-9 shot advantage to go along with a 9-1 edge on corner kicks, but it was Klug who secured his fourth straight game-winning goal. Lansing also extended his shutout minutes streak to 393:05 over four games. Klug’s team-leading five goals this season is second in the Patriot League rankings and 14th best in the nation.

The Bison begin Patriot League play tomorrow when they face Army at home at 3:30 p.m.